I have a mentor. I have… guides. I have a lot of guides. Not a lot, but people whose opinions I really respect and who I will turn to. – Jake Gyllenhaal
We all know the benefits of getting a mentor, or mentors for the fact. Now that you already have a mentor, congratulations! What’s next?
What’s the use of having a mentor if you didn’t make full use of it? Mentors are not trophies that you collect and display at the display rack.
A mentor is there to guide you. He or she doesn’t spoon-feed you. How then do you make full use of this new relationship?
Write to them daily. Give an update to them on the following:
Actions that you have taken and the results shown. Mentors like people who take actions. It is not all talks and chit chat. At the end of the day, results prevail. And to get results, you need to put in the action.
Problems encountered and challenges faced. Life is not all rosy. Describe the issues that appear. It could be a problem faced today that you will solve tomorrow, or a problem today that you would seek your mentor’s advice, or even a problem that cannot be solved.
Questions for the mentors. This is where you seek valuable advice and guidance from your mentors. The questions should be based on your mentors’ experience and niche knowledge, not something that can be found easily online. Else, it would be spoon-feeding to you.
Repeat this activity daily, and see the patterns that arises. If you take this exercise seriously, you will find:
1. You are taking more and more actions. Actions lead to results. And more results will lead to more favorable results.
2. You will see a pattern. Successful people thrive from consistent patterns.
3. You will see if your are solving your problems independently or with your mentors’ help.
4. The problems you faced will be more difficult, hence you are leading a higher standard of life. You’re breaking through your comfort zone.
5. You’re giving more and more valuable questions to your mentors, and learning at a higher speed in the same time.
What would you start asking from your mentor today?